Sunday, September 18, 2016

Ponderings Along the Pathway...LUCK

Welcome to this month's edition of Ponderings Along the Pathway, an exclusive feature over here on the Path of Positivity.  The purpose of this column is to continue with the goal of this blog which is to create a space "designed to inspire, nurture and provide support for the soul by creating a positive path to follow, one project or post at a time".  Providing some motivational introspection on the themes we cover each challenge period, is one way of achieving this goal.

This month it is all about LUCK and PAT is here to share her thoughts on the subject...

Would you consider yourself a lucky person? For me, luck is all a matter of perspective. A large family living in a two bedroom apartment in a not-so-nice neighborhood would think they had bad luck. A family living out of their car would consider the others the lucky ones. And the man sleeping in the forest preserves would wonder what they have to complain about. Perspective.

When I feel that Lady Luck has personally got a vendetta against me, I take pencil and paper in hand to create an “Awful Scale.” The Awful Scale is my way of gaining perspective. Here’s how to make one for yourself:
Go down the page writing numbers from 1 through 50. Next, choose somewhere on your list to write the situation or event that makes you feel “not so blessed” in the luck department. Then think of other bad things that you would not want to happen to you. For me, it would be losing my husband or kids in a car accident. What bad things might happen to you at this point in your life – losing your house, getting a divorce, getting a terminal illness? Figure out where you want them numbered. Add to that the things that would be only slightly irritating? For me, it would be a bad hair day, stubbing my toe, missing my favorite TV show. Place them somewhere on your Awful Scale.

Keep filing up all those blank spaces. Think of all those times you got frustrated, when things didn’t go your way, when the unexpected threw you for a loop. Write in things from your own “what if…” imaginings. You can change your list items around if you need to (that’s why I use a pencil with an eraser).
How does your present “unlucky” situation look now? How does it compare to the rest of those awful things? Creating an Awful Scale puts things in perspective. And having perspective allows a person to see how really lucky they are.

So, as we walk the Path of Positivity today, I consider myself lucky to have you as a companion. I want to leave you with some very wise words from a favorite author that fits perfectly with our theme:

When you think things are bad,
When you feel sour and blue,
When you start to get mad…
You should do what I do…
Just tell yourself, Duckie,
You’re really quite lucky!
Some people are much more…
Oh, ever so much more…
Oh muchly, much-much more
unlucky than you!

~Dr. Suess~


That certainly puts things into perspective, doesn't it?! Pat always has a unique way of looking at things that helps me to better equip myself for my own journey along life's Pathway. I hope that she helps you see a different way as well.
   
Well folks, that is it for today but please be sure to join us later tonight when I finally get the Top Picks posted and then again on Monday for the midway.  Enjoy your week ahead everyone!


No comments: